Learn@UW-Stout -- Groups
Utilizing groups in a Learn@UW-Stout course will be helpful for instructors who assign group projects. The group tool is a great resource to set up areas for groups to submit assignments and have discussions.
Users can belong to multiple groups in a course. Each user can have its own discussion boards, dropbox folders, and lockers to work in. Instructors can grade members individually or as a whole.
Tips Before Creating Groups
- Setting groups up before or after you enroll users.
- Enabling auto-enrollment in groups.
- Enabling randomization of users in groups.
- Enabling self-enrollment in groups.
- The Enrollment Type you choose.
Group Enrollment Types
There are a few different types of enrollment types when creating a new category.
# of Groups - No Auto Enrollments: Selecting this option creates a specific number of groups, which you can add any number of users to through the Enroll Users page. This is used when you know how many groups you want to create and which users you want in each group.
Groups of #: Selection this option creates the minimum number of groups needed to place users in groups of a specified maximum size. More groups are created when they are needed to accommodate users.
- Note: If users are enrolled before groups are set up and Can be auto enrolled into groups is enabled, users are added using a brick laying algorithm.
# of Groups: Selecting this option creates a specified number of groups.
- Note: If Can be auto enrolled into groups is enabled, users are added using the brick laying algorithm.
- Note: If Can be auto enrolled into groups is not enabled, the specified number of groups is created with no users enrolled into them.
Groups of # - Self Enrollment: Selecting this option creates the minimum number of groups needed to accommodate users in groups of a specified maximum size automatically. Users choose the group they want to enroll from the Groups page. Use this enrollment when you know how many users you want in each group but the users are allowed to chose their own groups.
# of Groups # - Self Enrollment: Selecting this option creates a specific number of groups with a specific number of enrollments per group. Users pick the groups they want to enroll into from the Groups page.
What happens when you move a user to a new group?
- Discussion posts remain in the old group and do not count towards a user’s grade if the forum or topic is associated with a grade item. The user must satisfy the discussion post requirements in the new section. You can override a grade using the Grades tool.
- Locker files remain in the old group. Users must add any files they want to keep to the new locker area themselves.
- Dropbox submissions submitted for the old group remain with the old group. The user receives the grade achieved by the new group on any group dropbox folders. You can change the user’s grade back to the original group’s mark in Grades.