Topics Map > Service Catalog > Device support > Operating system support
HP BIOS/Firmware/Driver Updates for Staff
Directions on how to update your HP computer's BIOS, Firmware, and Drivers.
We have provided a utility to apply BIOS, firmware, and driver updates for HP computers. It is currently only available to a select subset of machines. If you do not see this available in Software Center and believe you should, please contact the Technology Help Desk.
**Due to the nature of this tool, it pulls the newest updates directly from HP and may take some time to download. Please to not interrupt this process once started. It is important to note that if a BIOS update is being applied, you must NOT remove power from your computer, close the lid, or shut it down.This may cause permanent damage to the machine.
- To begin this process connect to VPN and open Software Center.
- Search for HP Updates. The full name of the utility is HP Updates - BIOS/Firmware/Drivers. If it is your first time running this program, it will say Install instead of Reinstall. Click Install or Reinstall to continue.
- When the download is complete it will automatically open the Critical Updates window. This window shows if your machine is ready to install the updates. If it shows you have a pending reboot, typically due to a software install or windows updates, please restart your computer and repeat Step 1 above. If your computer is not plugged in, please plug it in, close the window before you repeat Step 1.
- If the readiness check passes, you will be given the following message, HP Critical Updates. Please read this message completely. It is important that you do not interrupt the process once it has begun as doing so has the potential to cause permanent damage to your machine. Please be aware that the following process has to check your machine, download, and install updates and may take some time. Factors include the age of your machine, the last time it ran this utility, as well as the speed of your internet connection. Click the green check box at the bottom of the window to continue.
- After the Critical Updates window closes, you will be greeted with the HP Image Assistant window.Things to Note:
- The HP Image Assistant window may open behind any other currently open programs.
- We highly recommend closing all other applications while running this utility.
- The message displayed at the bottom of the window will change as the updates make progress.
- Your computer may beep, and/or give you notifications about recently installed hardware. This is completely normal as the updated drivers are installed.
- Please ignore any popup windows in the lower right hand corner telling you to restart during this process.
- Once the HP Image Assistant window is closed, the standard installations are completed.
- Any additional BIOS/Firmware updates will be completed after restarting your computer. If any of these updates are available for your computer, it may take up to 20 minutes to install it when it has restarted. Please make sure your power cable remains plugged in and that you have time for this update to complete. Restart your computer to continue.
Please Note: After you restart, you may see a basic screen saying your computer's BIOS is updating. It may go through several steps and appear to be stuck or have a black screen. Do not interrupt this process, or disconnect power to your machine.
Additional Note: If at this time, you are prompted for a password, please enter an incorrect password three times, after which you will be given the option to cancel the update and continue into Windows. If this occurs, please contact the Technology Help Desk.
- Once you are back to the Windows login screen, the process is complete and you are free to continue using your computer.