Topics Map > Service Catalog > Device support > Computer Repair
How to facilitate the repair of a broken iPad
The Technology Help Desk is not certified to repair iPads, but can consult on the repair process for failing or damaged iPads covered under a valid Apple warranty.
If an iPad under warranty is failing or an iPad purchased with AppleCare+ is damaged (cracked screen, drop, spill, etc.), users can initiate a repair by contacting Apple directly. Currently, AppleCare+ covers damage, but an additional $49 incident fee is charged by Apple. AppleCare+ must be purchased at the time of purchase.
- Contact Apple by visiting https://getsupport.apple.com/
- Request the Customer-arranged Shipping option*
- Apple will ship a box to return the broken iPad to an Apple service center
- Remove the iPad from iCloud
- Ship the broken iPad to Apple using the box provided along with instructions
- Apple will assess the iPad and if AppleCare+ applies a repaired or replaced iPad will be shipped in 7-10 days; in the event that the damage to the iPad is not covered, Apple will contact the requester
*Why customer-arranged? The "Express" option will result in a credit card hold being placed on the card required to initiate the service.