Duo (Android): Instant Restore
How to recover Duo-protected accounts with instant restore.
Backing Up Your Current Android Device
- Open the Duo Mobile app on your old device.
- Select the menu icon in the upper left.
- Click Settings.
- Enable the Duo Restore feature and sync your backup with a personal Google Drive account.
Using Instant Restore on Your New Device
You must have access to Duo Mobile on your old Android device in order to use Instant Restore to restore your Duo-protected account backup to your new device.
If you can't open Duo Mobile on your old device, for example, if your phone was lost or damaged, please follow these directions 2 Step (Duo): Reactivate after getting a new phone. or contact the Technology HelpDesk.
- From your new Android device, download the latest Duo Mobile App from the Google Play Store.
- Open the Duo Mobile app on your new device.
- Tap I have existing accounts from the welcome screen.
- Duo Mobile will check for a previous backup in Google Drive. Select the Google account you used when initially setting up Duo Restore.
- You'll be asked if you have your old phone. Tap Yes, continue setup to continue.
- Open Duo Mobile on your old phone, and tap the menu icon in the top right to open Settings.
- Locate the "Connect a new phone" settings item, and tap View QR code to display a QR code on the screen.
- Return to your new phone, and tap Scan QR code in step 3, then scan the QR code shown on your old phone to complete account restoration.
- Duo Mobile locates your backed-up Duo-protected accounts and restores them to your device, showing a success message when complete.
The Duo Mobile accounts list will now show your restored Duo accounts, and you may use them to log into Duo-protected services with Duo Push or a generated passcode.