Topics Map > Service Catalog > Device support > Asset Management
Topics Map > Service Catalog > Device support > Device deployment
Asset Management (Computer Inventory): Verify, change users, add note, etc.
Summary of campus computer inventory
Learning and Information Technology maintains the campus’ computer inventory database. Administrative Procedure Number 038 defines the roles and responsibilities of individuals and departments as they pertain to the campus’ computing assets. The computer inventory tool is accessed via the Self-Service feature of the Technology Helpdesk.
Please note that you must be a designated Inventory Admin to access this online tool.
The campus inventory tool will allow the user to:
• Record and change the user assigned to a C-numbered computer
• Record a date the equipment was “verified” for annual inventory purposes
• Record a single note about each piece of equipment for future reference
• Transfer computer assets between departments
• View the campus’ list of computer assets assigned to each department
Verify computer assets, change users, add notes
Log in and access departmental computer list
- Visit the self-service help desk (http://helpdesk.uwstout.edu/)
- Click the Inventory Audit link in the Self Service sidebar
- Choose the department from the drop-down list (if you are designee for only one, that department will appear)
Verifying (record a date of inventory for audit purposes)
- Check the box in the Verify column of the appropriate computer or printer (you can click multiple computers)
- Click the Verify button at the top of the page beneath the department name
- The “Date Last Verified” will be recorded and reflected in the Date Last Verified column
Change assigned user
- Click the edit button for the appropriate computer
- Delete the name of the previous user (if any) and type the username of the new user (a user must be selected; this field cannot be blank)
- Click the Update button in the Edit column
Recording a note/computer description
- Click the edit button on the appropriate computer line
- In the Computer Description column type a brief note for your future reference (ex. Used by student employees at front desk)
- Click the Update button
Printing a list
(Hint: online list pastes well into Microsoft Excel)
- Click the Export to Excel button
- Click Save as
- Select a destination and file name
- Click Save
Annual Notice from Business Services
The campus computer and iPad inventory must be updated regularly by the computer inventory coordinator in each department and verified by physical identification of the devices.
It is important to remember the following:
- Each individual should be assigned a single computer.
- It is a violation of UW-Stout policy for an employee to keep a university computer at his or her home.
- Asset Management: FAQS
- Asset Management: Transferring a computer to another department or user
- Asset Management: What happens after a faculty/staff computer is ordered?
- Asset Management (Surplus): Sending IT Hardware to surplus
- Asset Management: Designating or changing a departmental inventory administrator
- Asset Management: Spreadsheet and Printer-friendly Departmental Inventory Reports
- Asset Management: Transferring Computers and Printers to other Departments