Topics Map > Service Catalog > Device support > Printer deployment
Networking Printing (Apple Computers): Installing Campus Printers
Help users install network printers that are maintained on UW-Stout print server.
Part 1: Installing Print Drivers
Part 2: Configuring Printer
Before installing network printer answer the following questions
- What is the operating system version (OSX) installed on the Apple computer?
- Is the printer installed on the UW-Stout Network Printer Server System and what is the printer’s network name?
- What is the manufacturer and model number of the network printer?
* If you can't answer above question, please call or stop at the
helpdesklocated in Sorensen Hall 105 or call X5000 for technical assistance.
- Visit Lanier.com/downloads for the driver of the model printer you are installing.
- Agree and click Submit to enter the site.
- Choose the appropriate device menu and drop down the list and choose the model
- Click on OSX version installed on Apple computers and click download arrow
- Navigate to downloads folder on the Apple and double-click on the drivers DMG file (
Downloads foldercan be found in dock or by clicking on the finder and downloads folder will be on the favorites menu on the left of the screen)
- When DMG extracts click on .pkg file
- Click Agree to terms of license
- Select install destination of local hard drive
- Click Install
- When prompted put in UW-Stout username and password and click Install Software
- Close when install is completed successfully. Drivers have been installed and you can now move to Part 2 - Configuring Printer HP Drivers
- Download the latest printer drivers for supporting HP printers from Apple
Note: There is a link on
pageto a list of Apple-supported printers
- Navigate to downloads folder and double-click on the drivers DMG file (
Downloads foldercan be found in dock or by clicking on the finder and the downloads folder will be on the favorites menu on left of screen)
- When extracted click on HP drivers
- Click Continue to install drivers, continue to software license agreement and Agree to software terms.
- Click Install and when prompted put in your UW-Stout username and password
- Close when install is completed successfully.
- Reboot computer
- Drivers have been installed and you can now move to Part 2 - Configuring Printer
- From the Apple menu, choose System Preferences
- From the system preferences window, choose Printers & Scanners
- Click ”+” to add a printer
- On the ribbon right-click (control + click) and choose Customize Toolbar
- Drag Advanced Gear icon to ribbon
- Click Done
- Click Advanced Gear icon, it will start spinning and searching for printers
- When the search is complete, in Type dropdown menu and choose Windows printer via spools
- In the URL box fill in the network address with the address of the printer server and the name of the network printer.
- Put in the name of the printer APPA_322_MFD_1
- Put in the location of the printer: Applied Arts 322
- In Use dropdown menu and click Select Software
- Type in model number of printers. Example of model: Lanier MP C2503
A completed configuration example for the APPA_322_MFD_1 network printer
- Click Add
- If settings are correct and a prompt will appear to to create new printer. Click Continue
- Dropdown menu and select options to install for the printer. Once you have selected your options, click OK Note: If the duplex option is available choose it so a page can be printed on both sides. You can come back to these options later by clicking on on options from printer and scanner in system preferences. Each network printer is setup up differently so the department secretary or manual will be the best reference for getting the most out of the printer options.
- The network printer has been successfully installed.
If printer requires codes, please refer to the KnowledgeBase article on network printer codes for Apples
Missing driver software for printer model and Apple Operating System:
If you cannot find printer software in the list make sure you have the right model and make the latest software has been downloaded and installed on Apple for the model printer installing. If the driver software can't be found the model printer may not be supported by the Apple operating system.
There is a chance the generic PCL printer drivers can be used with limited functionality until Lanier updates drivers.
A disclaimer: The functionalities of these drivers are not supported by client services. Using PCL drivers is last effort used just to get printing functionality.
Click the "Plus" sign to add a printer and Add printer window does not open:
- Reboot Computer
- Gather windows to show all windows on one display. System Preferences, Displays, Gather windows button at bottom right of window
- If Add printer window still does not appear and you tried all other solutions reset the printing system
This process deletes all printers from your list of printers, deletes information about all completed print jobs, and deletes all printer presets.
Important: First, try other troubleshooting techniques.
- Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Printers & Scanners.
- Hold down the Control key as you click in the list at the left, then choose “Reset printing system” from the menu that appears.
After you reset the printing system, the list of printers in Printers & Scanners preferences is empty