Topics Map > Service Catalog > Device support > Operating system support
Reset Keychain after password change on domain (faculty/staff) Apple
How to reset keychain on apple computer after a password change
If you change your campus password and experience keychain or printing problems, the keychain can be updated to your new password.
After logging in for the first time after a password update you will see "Continue Log in." Selecting Continue Log-in will provide access to desktop files; however, network and some third-party applications will present dialog warnings because the keychain is locked. Fortunately, the keychain can still be updated using the following method:
How to open the Keychain Utility
- Make sure you are in the Finder window. This can be done by clicking the Finder button in your task bar or clicking on your background.
- In the top Finder bar, select Go > Utilities
- In the Utilities windows, select Keychain Access.
- This will be what your Keychain looks like when opened:
How to reset a single Keychain Password
- Navigate to the password that has been changed and needs to be reset.
- Once the password has been highlighted, press the Delete key. This will remove the password from your keychain. It may prompt you for an administrator username and password which should be your username/password used for login.
- Once the password is gone, you can navigate to the website or application and log in with your new password, saving the new password in the Keychain.
Selecting Reset My Default Keychains will result in the creation of a new keychain without destroying the original keychain. The old keychain is renamed and stored, while the new keychain becomes the default. As with the Create New Keychain below, each website that uses a keychain password will need to be re-entered when you first visit the site.
- In the top navigation bar, select Keychain Access > Properties
- Select Reset My Default Keychains
- It will prompt for your password
- Your keychain has been reset!
Unlock/update Keychain Password
Selecting Update Keychain Password and entering the previous password to unlock the keychain, will result in the OS updating the login password accordingly so that services continue to work as expected. Hooray! If email is tied to the same directory credentials, or if server volumes are set to mount at login (single sign-on excluded), the new password must be entered again to gain access.
- Select Edit > Change Keychain Password
- Enter the previous password and enter the new password twice. Select OK.