Learn@UW-Stout -- Chat
The chat tool is a real-time, text-based collaboration tool. You can use the Chat tool to brainstorm ideas, hold a question, answer period, have a debate or discussion, or organize a remote study group. As opposed to other collaboration tools, such as Discussions, Chat conversations occur in real time.
- Personal Chats: Personal chats are private and visible only to users who you have added to the chat's participants list. Private chats would be perfect for different groups within a course to share information about the projects they are working on. Anyone with proper permissions may create a personal chat room.
- General Chats: General chats are public chats visible to everyone enrolled in the course. Instructors can create general chat rooms to incorporate chat discussions into the teaching of the course. These chats are automatically open to all users enrolled in the course.
Creating a New Chat
- Note: General Chat allows all users enrolled in the course to participate. Users from other courses will not be able to access this chat.
- Note: Personal Chat allows you to add or remove users from its members list. You can add users from other course offerings to allow them to participate.
- Note: The chat type cannot be changed once you click Create.
Joining a Chat
- To join a chat, click on the desired chat.
- To send messages, type your message in the chat box and hit Enter, or Send.
- To exit chat, press the Exit Chat button.
Deleting a Chat
- Select the check box by the desired chat you would like to Delete.
- Select the Delete icon.
- Your chat has now been deleted.