Topics Map > Service Catalog > Telecommunications services > Telephone/Voice Communications
VoIP - Invalid address, username or password on VoIP phone
VoIP phone displays the invalid address user name or password
When campus password is changed Better Together over Ethernet (BToE) client which is the application that establishes the link between VoIP phone and computer (Skype for Business) expires.
Re-authenticate/Connect Skype for Business to desk phone after a password change:
On VoIP phone: Do not sign into phone directly
- On phone display press the "Ok" and/or "Cancel" softkey buttons (These are the buttons directly below the display screen messages)
- Verify the Better Together over Ethernet (BToE) client is running in the system tray - Refer to How to verify and launch the BToE client
- Make sure BToE client is paired - Refer to How to check if phone is paired
- If Skype for Business is not running, go to Start menu and search for Skype for Business and launch the application.
- A login prompt for credentials from Skype for Business should pop up.
- Enter a new password
- Skype for Business will login to the server if the correct password is entered.
- If you do not see login prompt or new password does not work please call the help desk for further assistance (If you would like to see other troubleshooting steps refer to bottom of the article)
On VoIP phone:
- The display on phone will contact the Skype for Business server and will the display will show a brief message that "Better Together Activated"
Hint: If you missed the message, you can verify connection by finding the infinity sign on phone display
If you are not seeing prompt for login information
a. On your computer, go to the Gear icon and click the drop down menu arrow
b. Click on File
c. Click on Sign Out
d. Wait 5 seconds and then click the Sign In button on Skype for Business
f. You may have to Sign in and Sign out several times to get the login prompt for new password
Still no login prompt from Skype
- Power down phone
A. Pull power cord and/or ethernet from phone for 10 seconds and then plug them back in (some phones are powered through ethernet cable).
- Restart computer