Canvas - Activating Courses
1. Publish your course by selecting the "Publish" button on your homepage. The button will turn green and change to "Published" after you do this.
The following are steps about how to restrict students from seeing your course prior to the course start date or after the course end date. For this to work correctly, all steps must be followed in the order they listed below.
Note: In order to publish, you must have a module created.
2. On the sidebar, go to "Settings."
3. Within "Settings," select the "Sections" tab.
4. Click on the section that you wish to activate.
5. On the right side of your screen, select "Edit Section."
6. Begin by entering the start and end date of the term. Then check the box the says, "Users can only participate in the course between these dates." Once you have done this, you can select "Update Section."
Note: The start date for the course is listed in Access Stout and the end date is 5 days after the end date listed in Access Stout.
7. Return to the main settings page using the "Back to Course Settings" button.
8. Go to the "Course Details" tab.
9. Scroll down to the start and end dates and make sure this area is blank. No information should be listed for either of these fields. Below that you should check the box that says, "Users can only participate in the course between these dates."
10. Scroll down to the "Visibility"section and check the boxes that say, "Restrict students from viewing course after end date" and "Restrict students from viewing course before start date."
11. Scroll all the way to the bottom of the page and select "Update Course Details."