VPN fails to connect from Windows 10 ver.1903
This document describes a problem connecting to VPN with a specific version of Windows 10 and explains how to solve the problem.
For details on normal operation, please review article VPN (Windows): Installation and Connection to install and use VPN. Campus computers should be upgraded to Windows 10 build 1909 or higher to fix VPN problems.
In Windows 10 build 1903, released on the 21st of May in 2019, the normal connection of VPN was modified and a set of additional steps may be required in order to connect the first time.
- If you click on the network connection from the system tray and select UW-Stout VPN from the menu that pops up, clicking the Connect button may show a spinning indicator but fail to connect.
- In this case, click the Network & Internet settings from lower in that window.
- This should open the Network & Internet section of Windows' Settings menus.
- About halfway down the menu on the left side, click on the VPN link.
- When you select the UW-Stout VPN link and click Connect, a Windows security window will open to collect your user name and password.
- After connecting this way one time, VPN should continue to connect in the shorter process from step 1 in future sessions.
- A password change or a Windows patch may force you to go through this process again.