VPN fails to connect from Windows 10 ver.1903
This document describes a problem connecting to VPN with a specific version of Windows 10 and explains how to solve the problem.
For details on normal operation, please review article VPN (Windows): Installation and Connection to install and use VPN.
In Windows 10 version 1903, released on the 21st of May in 2019, the normal connection of VPN was modified and a set of additional steps may be required in order to connect the first time.
- If you click on the network connection from the system tray and select UW-Stout VPN from the menu that pops up, clicking the Connect button may show a spinning indicator but fail to connect.
- In this case, click the Network & Internet settings from lower in that window.
- This should open the Network & Internet section of Windows' Settings menus.
- About halfway down the menu on the left side, click on the VPN link.
- When you select the UW-Stout VPN link and click Connect, a Windows security window will open to collect your user name and password.
- After connecting this way one time, VPN should continue to connect in the shorter process from step 1 in future sessions.
- A password change or a Windows patch may force you to go through this process again.