Instructors who are teaching multiple sections of the same course often choose to cross list, or combine, the courses together. This simplifies posting content to all sections at once and reduces the number of courses on the instructor's dashboard.
Follow the steps below or view the video for directions to cross list courses in Canvas:
1. Open the course that other courses will be cross listed into. This will be considered the parent course. This course may or may not have content in it already. It will work either way.
2. Copy either the course name
or the course ID
listed at the end of the URL.
3. Next, open to the course that will be cross listed into the parent course.
4. Scroll down and click on Settings in the tool bar on the left side of the screen.
5. Click on the Sections tab at the top of the page.
6. Under the Course Sections heading, click on the course you would like to cross list
7. Choose the Cross-List this Section option on the right side of the screen.
8. Paste either the course name or course ID that you copied in step 2 into the appropriate box. Confirm that the course that appears is the parent course you wish to cross list into.
9. Confirm that the course that appears is the parent course you wish to cross list into and select Cross-List This Section.
Once this is finished, you will be returned to the section screen. Notice at the top of the page that the course name has changed to that of the parent course. If you wish to cross list multiple sections into the same course, repeat these steps for each class you wish to cross list.
It is recommended that you change the course name to include the term at the start of the course name to distinguish it from previous semesters. For details on how to rename a course, see the Renaming Courses
Knowledge base article.
When you cross-list multiple sections into the same course in Canvas, students can see information about students in other sections. In these cases, you may not want to include the People, Chat, and Collaborations in the student navigation menu. For more information, talk to Learning Technology Services.