Canvas Submission Types
This document will offer a description of the various submission types that instructors can choose when creating an assignment in their courses.
Instructors can view the submission type of an assignment when creating an assignment, or by selecting More Options when selecting the Edit function on an existing assignment.
There are four types of assignment submission in Canvas. They are as follows:
1. No Submission: This option will not collect any data from the students.
2. Online: This option allows the students to submit their assignment through Canvas. Selecting this type will present you with the following options:
- Text Entry: This will allow students to enter content into a text box to be submitted directly. You are also able to upload your My Media content here. To do this click on the color wheel in the menu as seen below. Not recommended for lengthy assignments.
- Website URL: This allows the student to upload a URL to a website, video, or podcast
- Media Recordings: This allows students to upload audio or video directly from their computer, or record new media to submit
- File Uploads: This allows students to upload documents from their computer files.
- Restrict Upload File Types: Entering file extensions into this box will allow only files with those extensions to be uploaded for this assignment.
3. On Paper: This option will not allow students to upload an assignment to Canvas, but will automatically create a column in the grade center so the instructor can assign a grade.
4. External Tool: This option will allow the instructor to use a tool not integrated into Canvas in order to submit the assignment.