Turnitin: Enabling Turnitin for Submissions
Turnitin is a plagiarism checker that allows students and teachers to monitor the originality of work that is submitted. Turnitin is a third party integration in Canvas and can be enabled while creating assignments.
1. From the assignments tool, create an assignment like you would normally. Enter in the title, the instructions, the points, the way you would like the grade to display, etc.
2. Under the Submission Type (2), select “Online” and select “File Uploads” (3). You have the option of restricting certain file types as well. You will see the “Plagiarism Review” (4) options appear.
3. The Plagiarism Review automatically defaults to “None,” but you can change it to “Turnitin” via the dropdown menu that appears (5).
4. Additional options to consider: Under the “Store submissions in” dropdown menu, you have the option to store papers in the standard paper repository or to not store the submitted papers in a repository (6).
5. Under the “Compare submissions in” section of the Turnitin menu, you will see the list of repositories you would like the entry to be compared against. The automatic defaults are set to checking the Student repository, website content and periodicals, journals and publications (7). You can deselect any of those options each time you use Turnitin. However, if you would like to include these options every time students submit their work through Turnitin, you do have the option to Save as default settings by clicking the box below (8).
6. Lastly, you can determine how your students are shown the plagiarism report.
7. Once you have assigned the due date, the available from and until dates (optional), hit Save and Publish and the Turnitin process will be assigned to that assignment.