Stout Online Programs (Graduate and Undergraduate): Personal Laptop Recommendations
This is a list of specifications recommended for students using personal laptops for online coursework. These are recommended minimums.
Minimum Hardware Recommendations
- Processor: 2 GHz or faster x64-bit processor (Recommended Intel Core i5 10th gen processor or higher)
- Memory: 8 GB RAM (Recommended 16GB or higher)
- Hard Disk: 500 GB hard drive (recommended SSD)
- Display: 1024 x 768 screen resolution
- Operating System:
- Windows 10 or higher
- MacOS 11 (Big Sur) or higher
- Browser: Current version of Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Firefox, or Safari
- Internet connection: DSL or Cable modem or a high speed mobile hotspot required. A broadband connection is recommended.
- Some courses may require a headset with an attached microphone.
Corporate and Personal Firewalls
Many corporations and individuals have installed firewalls to protect the computers on their networks. Firewalls can serve two purposes:
Tablet and Mobile Support
Minimum Software Requirements
- Microsoft Office: Microsoft Office365 is available for download on Windows and MacOS for current students. Installable titles include: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, Access, Outlook, Skype for Business, and OneDrive for Business. (How to Install)
- Adobe Acrobat Reader (or Equivalent PDF Viewer) Adobe Acrobat Reader Free Download
**There may be additional software recommendations for some programs, including the Master of Fine Art in Design (MFA) program. Most software is available on specific computer lab machines on campus. If you want to purchase your own copy of the software, you can find information below here: Stout Online Programs (Graduate and Undergraduate): Software Requirements