Stout Online Programs (Graduate and Undergraduate): Personal Laptop Recommendations
This is a list of specifications recommended for students using personal laptops for online coursework. These are recommended minimums.
In order to serve our online students better, we have created a set of minimum recommendations for personal laptops used in online courses. These specifications are the minimum recommended for Mac and Windows machines. Hardware needs may also vary by program and your adviser or program may have additional recommendations.You can also contact our Technology Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Processor: 1 GHz or faster x86-bit or x64-bit processor (Recommended Intel Core i4 processor or higher)
- Memory: 8 GB RAM
- Hard Disk: 256 GB SSD (or HDD) with at least 5 GB available disk space
- Display: 1024 x 768 screen resolution
- Operating System:
- Windows 10 or Windows 8.1
- Apple 10.14, 10.13, or 10.12
- Browser: Current version of Chrome, Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge or Safari
- Internet connection: DSL or Cable modem required. A broadband connection is recommended.
- Some courses may require a headset with an attached microphone.
**There may be additional hardware recommendations for students enrolled in some programs including the Master of Fine Art in Design (MFA) program. The minimum hardware recommendations will vary depending on the software required for your courses. Links to system requirements for some of the software are listed on this article: Stout Online Programs (Graduate and Undergraduate): Software Requirements
Canvas, UW Stout's online learning platform, recommends these basic specifications for computers and browsers:
Corporate and Personal Firewalls
Many corporations and individuals have installed firewalls to protect the computers on their networks. Firewalls can serve two purposes:
- Prevent unwanted intrusion of the network (e.g., from hackers, viruses)
- Control unwanted traffic to unapproved sites
If you are at work and encounter a firewall-related error message or have problems accessing restricted resources, you may need to contact your corporate IT group for assistance.
If you are using your personal computer and have installed and/or activated firewall or security software, you will need to verify the course sites are not blocked and that ports 80 (standard Web port) and 443 (secure sockets port) are open to your Web browser. Information on how to check this should be in the documentation provided with the software involved.
Tablet and Mobile Support
Please note that while tablets and other mobile devices can be used for some tasks in online learning, they are not sufficient for completing all online learning requirements. For some tasks, you will need access to a laptop or desktop computer.
Minimum Software Requirements
- Microsoft Office: Microsoft Office365 is available for download on Windows and MacOS for current students. Installable titles include: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, Access, Outlook, Skype for Business, and OneDrive for Business. (How to Install)
**There may be additional software recommendations for some programs, including the Master of Fine Art in Design (MFA) program. Most software is available on specific computer lab machines on campus. If you want to purchase your own copy of the software, you can find information below here: Stout Online Programs (Graduate and Undergraduate): Software Requirements