Topics Map > Service Catalog > Communications and collaboration services > Email
Managing Junk Email Filter
How to manage junk email filter
- You remain responsible for reviewing official UW-Stout email
- 365 email administrators cannot force all email into your Inbox
- Periodically check and manage junk email
Managing Your Junk Messages
Messages marked as possible junk reside in the junk-email folder, as well as messages on your blocked senders list. You should periodically check the Junk E-mail folder to check for misplaced legitimate messages. Junk E-mail messages are in the Junk E-mail folder on the left-hand side of Outlook (typically located right above the Outbox folder).
Checking Junk Email Settings
- In Outlook 2013 and 2016 (Windows), click the "Home" tab. In the Delete group, click "Junk", and then "Junk E-mail Options".
- In Outlook 2011 (Mac), go to the "Tools" menu, then click "Junk E-mail Protection".
Managing Safe/Block Lists
- After opening Junk email settings, select the tab you want to manage:
Safe Senders – Incoming mail sent from addresses and domain names in the Safe Senders list are never treated as junk email. For enterprises using Exchange, all names and addresses in the global address list (People formerly called Global Address List or GAL) are automatically considered safe—so you don’t need to add them to the Safe Senders list. If an address happens to be in both the Safe Senders and the Blocked Senders list, the Safe entry wins, and the message will be delivered to the Inbox.
Safe Recipients – Mail sent to addresses or domain names on this list are never sent to the recipient’s Junk email folder, even if the address is in a distribution list or the address or distribution list is on the Cc or Bcc line.
Blocked Senders – Block messages from particular senders by adding their email addresses or domain names to the Blocked Senders list. When you add a name or email address to this list, Outlook moves any incoming message from that source to the Junk email folder. Messages from people or domain names in this list are always classified as junk, regardless of the content. If an address happens to be in both the Safe Senders and the Blocked Senders list, the Safe entry wins, and the message will be delivered to the Inbox.
- To remove and email address click "Remove" with the address field selected
- To add an email address, click "Add", input the desired email address, then click OK.
- You can also manage the lists based on individual messages as received; right-click on the message and select an action under the "Junk" menu item.
For official Microsoft training and articles click on the following links below or use the help in the desktop or the ? when you are in the online version of office 365 applications:
- Block or Allow Junk Email Settings in OWA (Outlook Web App)
- Change the level of protection in the Junk Email Filter