Laptop Loan: Faculty and Staff Process
Learning and Information Technology maintains a pool of previously-used laptops for loan to faculty and staff in need of a short-term computer solution. A limited supply of loaner laptops is available for check out for:
- Emergency hires
- Short-term hires
- Guests (must be sponsored by a UW-Stout department; see Camp and Event Laptop Loan Process)
Please complete the request form, two business days notice is required for all loans other than those to facilitate the repair of an assigned computer.
Laptops will be issued with Microsoft Office and web browsers. Access to additional titles is dependent upon licensing; see Software Center (PC): Installing software on faculty, and staff Windows computers . Laptops checked out for use by guests will not have access to most campus-licensed software other than Microsoft Office.
Loans will be for a specified amount of time unless unforeseeable conditions require cancellation or extension. No equipment shall be loaned for longer than five months. Loaners issued to facilitate repairs must be returned and the original laptop claimed within five business days of completion of repair. The employee will be required to return the loaner equipment on the date specified. Late fees may be incurred if loaner equipment is not returned on time .
- A department requisition ($200) must be received (via ImageStout) prior to the pickup of long term loans (loans longer than 1 month)
- $50/week recurring late fee will be charged for the late return of equipment
- $50/incident damage deterrent fee for damage or negligence resulting in a repair not covered by the manufacturer's warranty
- $400 for loss or theft
- $200/term rental fee for long-term loans (not to exceed five months)
- $500/year rental fee for year-long loan terms
- A fee will be charged for guest use loaners such as during a camp or event, this fee will range from $10-$50 depending on the sponsorship
All UW-System usage agreements apply to the use of loaned computer equipment. Loaner laptops are for campus use only. Loaner laptops may not be used for unlawful purposes, personal use, or for work for other employers.
Sensitive information should not be stored on loaner computers. The user is responsible for the storage and back up of all data. The user accepts responsibility for any information stored on the loaner equipment and its potential loss.
Per Administrative Procedure 038, UW-Stout requires physical verification of all computer assets annually. Users may be asked to bring the loaner equipment to the Technology Help Desk for inventory verification.
Additional questions can be directed to the Technology Helpdesk. Inquiries requiring escalation will be addressed M-F, 8:00 - 4:30.