Skype for Business to Teams Migration
Posted: 13:38:02, Tuesday, Jun 23, 2020 Expiration: 13:38:02, Thursday, Dec 31, 2020
LIT will be working to migrate our campus from Skype for Business to Teams in the upcoming months. Please visit the news pages for details.
What will happen to Skype for Business?
Microsoft will be discontinuing Skype for Business Online in 2021 and to prepare for that, LIT is beginning to implement a project to transition UW-Stout campus from Skype for Business to Teams. During this transition, Skype for Business and Teams will continue to be available to all our users and we will roll out changes in incremental stages over the next few months. At the end of the project, Microsoft Teams will be our primary communication and collaboration solution for all communication (phone calls, chats and online meetings). The Teams migration project will be complete by the end of the calendar year.
What Happens Next?
- Individuals: The next group that we will begin migrating will be individuals who are not part of a calling tree and seldom answer on behalf of others or are a party of a call transfer. This audience will mainly be faculty and instructional staff and will not include individuals in administrative offices. An email will be sent out to these individuals to notify them of the migration.
- Offices: We are also in working to identify the administrative offices and identify the complexity of their current configuration. Once identified we will create a timeline for their migration. LIT will be in direct consultation with an office contact to review the process and discuss solutions for unique phone needs.
What Can You Do to Prepare?
- Attend the Teams Calling training or view a recording of a previous training. View our training calendar for both.
- If you would like to be part of an Early Adopters Teams Pilot, submit a technology help desk ticket.
- Download the Teams Mobile App on your phone
- Subscribe to LIT’s “IT Connection” to receive email updates.
- Check out our KB: Microsoft Teams: Help and Tutorials
What Do You Do After Your Account Has Been Migrated?
- If you want to use your desk phone, you will need to connect your phone to Microsoft Teams
- Follow the steps on the following KB: Microsoft Teams: Signing Into Desk Phone (420HD or 440HD)
- Set up your Teams Calling Settings.
- View the Microsoft Tutorial - Manage Your Call Settings in Teams for more information.
Update on Tasks Completed
- LIT and early adopters migration at the end of June
- Skype for Business chat was turned off on July 15th . All users are using Microsoft Teams as their chat client.
- Teams Calling training - View Teams Calling recording
-- UW Stout
KnowledgeBase: Heidi Catlin
Created: 15:45:31, Tuesday, Jun 16, 2020 (by Heidi C.)
Updated: 17:02:49, Wednesday, Aug 5, 2020 (by Heidi C.)