Student Preferred Names: (Access Stout, Canvas, Navigate and Office 365)
Students are able to change their preferred names in some of our campus systems.
- Students are able to change their preferred name in Access Stout and this is what is displayed in the Course Roster in Access Stout. (See Changing your Preferred Name Help Guide)
- This change displays in Access Stout, Navigate and Canvas, not in Office 365.
- Students can not change their display name in Canvas. Students' preferred names are populated in Canvas through People Soft.
- Students can update their pronouns in Canvas. (See Canvas Help Guide)
Office 365 (Outlook, Teams, Etc.)
- A student’s display name in Outlook is created using their legal name used in their application.
- A student's preferred name change in AccessStout doesn’t sync with Office 365.
- Students have the option to change their display name in Office 365. (See KB: Students: Change your preferred Office 365 display name (Email, Teams, etc))
- When a change is made in Office 365, it will change their display name in Outlook, Teams and other Microsoft 365 apps.
- This does not change their username/email address.
- A student’s email does not change regardless of their preferred name in Access Stout or display name Office 365.
- The only time a student’s email would change is if they submit a legal name change to Registration and Records. (See KB: Legal name and username change process for campus records and systems)
- A student may choose to change their preferred name in Access Stout, but not their displayed name in Outlook and vice versa.