Topics Map > Service Catalog > Device support > eStout
eStout Student Laptop Program -- Support for students studying abroad
Summary of support for eStout laptops while students are studying abroad though Stout
Students studying abroad through UW-Stout should be aware of the following
- The university will provide an adapter for your use while studying abroad. Please note that it is NOT a converter.
- You are responsible for checking your UW-Stout email for important information and updates.
- UW-Stout is unable to ship loaner or replacement laptops.
- You are strongly encouraged to back up your files frequently to either an external hard drive or a web-based storage location such as OneDrive.
- If you are assigned a laptop due for refresh in the fall and will not be able to attend the fall refresh event when two-year-old laptops are exchanged on campus in late-August/early-September, make arrangements to do an early refresh before you leave!
- Be certain all software updates and virus updates are run prior to departure and done regularly while you are away.
- Remember that you must connect to the campus via VPN connection to use KeyServer applications.
- Laptop reimaging and software installation cannot be done remotely. Best efforts will be made to help repair and acquire campus software, but there may be non-refundable costs incurred on the part of the student to recover software.
- Hardware repairs while you are studying abroad may require you to call and/or visit HP or Apple certified local hardware repair facilities; Ensure that any repairs are performed only by HP or Apple-certified facilities that will honor the laptop's warranty.
- You may initiate your own repair by visiting the appropriate site and choosing the appropriate support options.
- Support for students studying abroad is a best effort. Every effort will be made to assist; however, the ability of the university to support students overseas is limited and not guaranteed.
For additional help with service and support while abroad contact: Sasha King, UW-Stout eStout Program Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org (preferred) or 715-232-5326. UW-Stout will direct you to the phone numbers and/or locations should repair needs arise. Please note that some locales provide service challenges and it may not always be possible to find local repair facilities.
If your laptop computer is stolen or lost you must file a police report with the law enforcement agency that has jurisdiction where the laptop was stolen or lost.
- For example: If a laptop is stolen or lost in London, England, contact the London Police Department. You must get a copy of the police report that reflects the serial number of your laptop (serial numbers can be obtained via the helpdesk; ÃÂyou might consider taking a photo of your laptop's serial number for emergency reference as well).
- If the agency having jurisdiction will not take a report contact the UW-Stout Police Department at email@example.com or 715-232-2222 as soon as possible. In addition, report the theft within 48 hours to the technology help desk, firstname.lastname@example.org or 715-232-5000.