Topics Map > Service Catalog > Instructional Technologies and Learning Services > Learning Management Support
Canvas: Creating a Sandbox (Master) Course
A Sandbox (Master) Course is used to develop course materials that will be used for academic purposes. It is the equivalent to a “sandbox” course made in D2L. As an instructor, you can create as many Sandbox Course shells as needed in order to prepare for your term.
Note: We are working to change the term "Master Course" to Sandbox Course. You may still see it referred to as a Master course in Canvas so some documentation will still use that terminology.
A Sandbox Course is used to develop course materials that will be used for academic purposes. It is the equivalent to a “sandbox” course made in D2L. As an instructor, you can create as many Sandbox Course shells as needed in order to prepare for your term. It is highly recommended new courses are designed in a Sandbox Course shell and copied to the live, SIS course once the term’s course shells are created. Please use this Canvas Guide for instructions on how to copy a Canvas course into a new course shell.
If you need of an empty course shell for a non-academic course, such as employee training, please email email@example.com and request an empty course shell. If you have any questions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for help or submit a Help Desk ticket.
The following instructions are for creating SandboxCourse shells:
- Login to Canvas through the Common Logins page or by going to Canvas.uwstout.edu. For login purposes, you will be asked for your Stout Username and Password. As an instructor and/or Teaching Assistant, you will also be prompted to 2-factor.
- Choose the Help button in your Global Navigation bar (bottom left of your browser window).
- Choose the Create a Master Course link from the help flyout menu.
- Fill out the form using the naming conventions below (we use this to help make it easy to find your course if you have a problem)
- Course Name: your course name + (MC) [Please note: MC stands for Master Course]. Example: European Art (MC)
- Course Code: MC_DEPT_COURSE NUMBER_FACULTY LAST NAME Example: MC_ART_100_JONES
- Department: Choose your department. If your department is not listed, please choose one within your college.
- Select Create Course. Once your course is created, it will show up on either your Dashboard and/or can be found under the Courses tab by clicking on All Courses.