Topics Map > Service Catalog > Communications and collaboration services > Email
Outlook (Web App): Manage A Shared Email Group
Distribution group administrators/owners can manage the membership and ownership of a group along with other settings from the Outlook Web App (OWA)--this cannot be done in the Outlook desktop application.
If you are unsure of who the owner for a shared email is, please contact the Technology Help Desk.
It is recommended that there is a minimum of 2 owners of a distribution group. This provides a safeguard in the event that one of the owner is unavailable to make a membership change.
- The shared email inbox owner will need to log into their UW-Stout email account (NOT the shared email account) using the Outlook Web App.
- In the top right, click the gear icon then, at the bottom of the menu, select View all Outlook settings.
- Expand the General menu under the Options left-navigation pane then click Distribution groups.
- Under the Distribution groups I own in the right-hand column, double-click the appropriate distribution group.
-- TIP: Nearly all Stout email groups are the "username" of the email + '-members' (example: techdesk-members would be the group for email@example.com)
- Select Membership.
- Make your changes to the group by using the plus (+) and minus (-) icons.
- Click Save.
Additional information and troubleshooting tips:
- Owners must also be added as members in order to access the shared mailbox.
- Nearly all Stout email groups are the "username" of the email + '-members' (example: techdesk-members would be the group for firstname.lastname@example.org).
- All users can check the groups they belong to and those that they own from the same location.
- Owners/Administrators can create other owners; more than one owner is recommended for continuity reasons.
- Membership cannot be modified from the Outlook desktop application; it must be done through OWA.
- If the plus (+) and minus (-) icons do not work to modify membership, please try using compatibility mode in Internet Explorer or Google Chrome.
- Member: Members are allowed to open and view the content of the inbox.
- Owner: Owners are allowed to change the owner and membership of the inbox group. Owners do not have permission to open and view the content of the inbox.
- If the owner needs to be able to open and view the content of the inbox, they will need to be added as both an Owner and Member.